Which body suits Tom Welling head best?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kal El Klarc

Super Freak
Reaction score
As the title suggests I am wondering what body skin tones match the Headplay Tom Welling headsculpt the best preferrably ones with a sculpted neck as I am looking to mod one of the heads to fit on a sculpted necked body for him to be used as superman.

Last edited:
I want to go with the Hot Toys TTM muscular body but I think the Tom Welling head has a neck post.

I think there's a muscular body from Kaustik plastic that has a removable neck thing.

Headplay's making some custom 1/6 bodies I think. They may make one for the muscular so it fits their stuff. I'm not sure. Just holding out for now!

I want to go with the Hot Toys TTM muscular body but I think the Tom Welling head has a neck post.

I think there's a muscular body from Kaustik plastic that has a removable neck thing.

Headplay's making some custom 1/6 bodies I think. They may make one for the muscular so it fits their stuff. I'm not sure. Just holding out for now!

Yeah it does have a neckpost, that is why I will be looking at modding the head to fit a sculpted neck, the reason is cause I want him to have the exposed neckline as Supes is usually portrayed...I do not want to make the new 52 suit(crappy crap crap) it is a good suit for anyone but Superman or maybe as like an emmissarial/ambassdorial like outfit.

Thanks for the ideas/updates though

Last edited:
I'm still undecided on whether to go with the Kaustik body or the HT one. I was almost certain on the Kaustik one until I saw how wide the hips/thighs were on it. I'm not too sure how well the legs would look with pants on, where as I have 2 figures on the HT muscle body that look fine. Another thins is that I believe the Kaustik neck is hard plastic/pvc whereas the HT one is the rubber material that still allows some neck articulation.

heres some comparison pics that may help you decide:

Hot Toys:
904_ttm19.jpg

Kaustik:
frontnude.jpg

Yeah that does look weird, maybe good for a roman slave? They both look fine as muscle bodies but I am unsure if they are beefy enough, how do they compare to non muscle bodies?

Yeah that does look weird, maybe good for a roman slave? They both look fine as muscle bodies but I am unsure if they are beefy enough, how do they compare to non muscle bodies?

Well I can't speak for the Kaustik body, but considering that the HT ones have been used for Dastan and Wolverine (among others) who were in those films beefier than Tom Welling, i'd say the HT body is definitely muscular enough for Tom Welling. I definitely don't think Welling needs say a t-800 body or the ACI Andrew body. Those would be too duff for Welling IMO.

Comparing the HT muscle body to a regular TT: the elbow articulation is only 90 degrees on the muscle body. Some see that as a downside but it doesn't bother me. The neck is obviously not as articulated as a free non rubber coated neck but theres still some nice movement you can get. Aside from that, the rest of the articulation seems to be about the same. From my experience though I'm not as critical as some other member here.

I think I just convinced myself to get the HT muscle body :lol

But at the same time, you have to think about the look you're going for. A muscle body may not be ideal for the dress shirt and tie look b/c im sure most typical dress shirts wont close all the way with how big te neck is on the HT Mucle body. In that case the slimmer looking Kaustik body may suit you better. A TT Advance w/o e thigh pieces might be better for that look as well.

Last edited:
Well I have two of the head, one will be Clark and one will be Superman. The Clark one I am thinking I will leave as is and just put him on a regular body and dress him up(glasses will be a pain) but for Superman as I said before I would prefer him to have the exposed neck. I am not going for his smallville look(or lack thereof since they didn't really show it) so if the body is a bit bulkier then he is that is fine. Skintone is my biggest concern

Last edited:
Well I just got the Welling head so now I can tell you which body matches his skin tone perfectly. It's the HT Dastan body. I have the muscle body in 3 different shades, Wolverine(darkest), Dastan(slight tan) and Thor(caucasian). Also, the Christopher Reeve body tone matches pretty well too. I hope this helps. I'm pretty sure eBay will probably be your best bet at finding either of those bodies

I would personally recommend the Christopher Reeve body. It's the same height and size that Tom Welling should be.

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those, I have however decided to not use him for a Superman custom but instead now I will use him for an original character I am working on but the body ideas will still work for what I have in mind so thanks again

Allow me to add my 2 cents here. Since we have 3 different versions of the Blue boy(Reeves,Reeve and Routh) my wife decided that we should have Welling as well. Being somewhat challenged in the impulse control dept., she immediately ordered the Welling sculpt from Headplay. She then spent the next 10 minutes trying to decide on the best body to give him, finally settling on the HT muscular body.The body arrived first, and she was convinced it was the perfect choice, in spite of the chest hair that Welling rather lacks.When the head arrived she was a bit put off by the neck length, We had an older HT narrow shoulders, but the neck was still long(comparisons were made to a certain African tree browsing ungulant).Having already modified another head(Spenser's excellent Kirk) to work on a "fashion"neck, I was given the task of getting poor Tom to fit.Without further ado, the results...
DSCN4382.jpg
DSCN4383.jpg

It's a little scary how good I'm getting at this particular trick.Basically, I trim the neck down fairly close to the final contour with an X-acto knife(new blade), then finish it up with my trusty Dremel. To create a fitted socket for the neck ball...
DSCN4386.jpg

I do a squish with Magic-Sculpt.The ball is sprayed with mold release,pushed into place and immediately pulled out. I then gently push the edge of the socket down slightly to create a lock fitting.
DSCN4387.jpg
DSCN4388.jpg

These 2 shots illustrate the color difference. With the flash, it shows up pretty well;no flash, and it's hardly noticeable...
DSCN4389.jpg

Finally, the back; the hair hides the joint completely.
All in all, we're both happy with this guy. Now all he needs are clothes...PS

that turned out really nice! wish I new how to cut the neck off and all that. I can't wait to get the clothes to put on this guy though. I've got big plans for him!

I have given you the basics, now go forth and conquer the world...No, really, go...PS

"Allow me to add my 2 cents here. Since we have 3 different versions of the Blue boy(Reeves,Reeve and Routh) my wife decided that we should have Welling as well ":hi5: hi i got your george from you a few years ago ,it still looks great to me :clap,id love to see your other versions ,espesialy good old kirk ayln ,nice work on the welling ,how are you going to outfit him cheers chris:)

Back