A Good Day to Die Hard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the 4th one was pretty crap to be honest. John McClane had truly become as invincible as The Terminator in that film....and if anything he should have been less able than he was in the previous films.

The first 3 are great, with the first one obviously being the best.

I would go see a 5th one though if I'm honest. I love sequels, if they're crap I simply disregard them. They don't ruin the good ones for me.

Going to the well a few too many times IMO. I know as an audience suspension of disbelief is necessary, but John McClane gets into way too much inssane crap. Let's hope he fights a ring of burglaries in his neighborhood or something in this one. Just tone it down.

Loved the fourth one as much as the others. After all, Olyphant did a much better acting job there than in Hitman (it's true...). I'd be down for a fifth.

Going to the well a few too many times IMO. I know as an audience suspension of disbelief is necessary, but John McClane gets into way too much inssane crap. Let's hope he fights a ring of burglaries in his neighborhood or something in this one. Just tone it down.

I agree. Kinda surprised that the majority in this thread liked the 4th one. Just way too OTT IMO with McClane doing ridiculous things he seemed to know he would survive. Its one thing the audience knowing the protoganist is not going to be killed but when it seems like the character himself knows it just takes you out of the film and makes you wonder why you're bothering to watch it. Granted the other sequels had moments of ''Come on! He'd be dead!'' but 4 really took it too far for me. I'd like to see a more down to earth story with a bit less absurdity....doesn't sound like we're getting that in the 5th but hell I'll watch it anyway.

I agree with you guys who are saying he just wasn't like the earlier versions of McClane (particularly from Die Hard 1) who got beat the f up and really struggled to get the job done (and to survive). And the scenes taking on the jet and some others did get really ridiculous. But I still enjoyed it for what it was--a fun action movie. Better than most that we get nowadays. So, I'll take more if they're willing to make them.

I agree with you guys who are saying he just wasn't like the earlier versions of McClane (particularly from Die Hard 1) who got beat the f up and really struggled to get the job done (and to survive). And the scenes taking on the jet and some others did get really ridiculous. But I still enjoyed it for what it was--a fun action movie. Better than most that we get nowadays. So, I'll take more if they're willing to make them.

I suppose what helped with the tension in the first one was A) Bruce Willis was a newb to movies at the time and B) no one knew this would be a film series. If it was going to be a standalone film they could have written McClane to die heroically.
So at the time audiences wouldn't have known exactly what to expect. But also anything he did in the first film, he (McClane) really conveyed worry and fear for his life doing that $h!t which made the OTT stuff more acceptable because the audience could say he just got lucky in surviving it. As the films go on though it seems like its less luck and more that this guy just knows that whatever he does, no matter how insane, he's going to survive it.

A part that annoys me in 3, although I like most of the rest of the film, is the laughing he does when he climbs out of the train wreck. Realistically the man should have been himself a nervous wreck after that - plus I dunno, maybe concerned that a bunch of people could have been killed - but no, for some reason he finds the situation laughworthy. Things like that are what I'm talking about - the character knows hes going to survive and somehow that no one else died either. And 4 was full of ridiculousness like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, by part 3 I think Willis was channeling too much of his Moonlighting character into McClane. His sense of humor and fearlessness are part of what make the character great, but not in excess. Seems like he was almost Hudson Hawk in Die Hard 3. Well, maybe not that bad, but more in that direction than I cared for :lol

Is he really? You might be joking...but I can totally see it.

And you're from CO too...the Tebow hype is insane.

They are looking for anyone in show biz that is the correct age to play Wilis's son.

I think they are planning on passing the torch.

Back