PDA

View Full Version : Open Call to SW Fans/Collectors (Slightly Off-Topic)

JGouse0498
07-12-2006, 03:50 AM
At this point, I’d like to make an open call to all my fellow Star Wars fans and/or collectors who frequently visit various SW collecting websites. I’m not prone to making such requests, but this is a situation that cries out for it.

From this point forward, I am asking you to permanently boycott Rebelscum.com.

For those of you who aren’t aware of why I’m asking this, here is the reason in a nutshell:

As you may know, Dustin Roberts, a fairly well-connected member of Rebelscum, recently won the honorary Fan Club President contest. Not many people were happy, but oh well. However, affiliate relationships with LFL entities (which should have disqualified Dustin) came to light. Of particular note, here is this direct quote from site owner Philip Wise on the matter of financial perks gained by Hyperspace registrations (the focus of the contest):

"We have an affiliate relationship with Starwarsshop.com and it is possible and even likely some subscriptions to the fan club paid us a commission, generally 5%, or $2.00. ... "

That is a SERIOUS conflict of interest. Not long after this was revealed, discussion ensued among forum members about its ramifications. This was the response from Wise (I’ve placed the most disturbing portion in bold-face font):

“So, I'm done messing with this discussion as it's just running around in circles. I have spent valuable time I did not have messing with this subject.

To those who are ****ed off Dustin won: Whether you showed your cards here or not, leave now. I don't wish you to be using our resources ever again.

I await emails with your user accounts so I may close them.

No more discussion on this topic will be allowed."

Wise then proceeded to lock down the thread and, within an hour, erased the entire thread from public view (except for that final posting).

Essentially, if you didn’t like the outcome but still respected Wise and Dustin enough to keep quiet, PHILIP WISE STILL WANTS YOU GONE!!

I say that we give him exactly what he wants, but I offer these amendments:

Terminate your user accounts and permanently leave Rebelscum IF:

1) If you are self-respecting SW fan and/or collector.
2) If you understand and accept a person’s right to their own opinion.
3) If you understand that a true fan community embraces all members who act with civility and mutual respect.

I still have multiple transactions with several RS.com members, and I will see those through until the end. After the last transaction is finished, I will be submitting my request to have my user account terminated and my collection page permanently deleted from the archive. I am washing my hands of Rebelscum.

Please do the same…whether you’re a casual fan, an established forumite, or even a Rebelscum moderator. There are plenty of hospitable websites out there for us, and it’s time Mr. Wise and company learned that they’re not the only fish in the sea.

Thank you for taking the time to hear me out. If you're on board, please let others know about this inexcusable blemish on the Internet SW fan/collector community.

EVILFACE
07-12-2006, 05:10 AM
So whats the big deal about winning this contest?

The Josh
07-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Well, it is odd this guy won considering how he was dell well over 100 votes when it ended. I think the person who started making the statement that Phillip Wise commented on in your post hit close to home. I also think that because of his realtionship with RS that something might have been up with the whole situation. It's a good bit of publicity something I'm sure RS wanted badly and might do anything for but in the end this is for a position that means absolutely nothing. You get some prizes and a trip to SDCC then bam nothing. The thing that I think is sad is the fact that P.Wise is gonna ban folks who find something odd about the whole situation. In other words if you don't agree with me I'll ban you. I've personally experienced this on another board because of my personal feelings on a subject. He can get away with this though because RS is so huge that those banned members won't even make much of a ripple in things.

PosterBoyKelly
07-12-2006, 05:28 AM
It is BS that they're saying we don't want you, essentially. BUT I can't chastise someone winning who has an inside ticket, only because I've done it when I worked at a record store and won many guitars and concert tickets, or rather my wife and family did (wink wink) so it would be hypocriticle of me. Atleast I admit it!

dregs
07-12-2006, 05:47 AM
Eh who cares, I've been going to rebelscum for a long long time. I will continue to go. If I sound like an ass, sorry I'm sick and when sick I really don't care what comes out.

Darth Madden
07-12-2006, 06:41 AM
So what did he actaully win by becoming honorary Fan Club President? Sounds like a "who cares" honor to me.

hairlesswookiee
07-12-2006, 06:56 AM
well, it doesnt matter to me because i havent visited the site in years anyways. too many offensive people there for my tastes. i like it here much better. :D

Brent72
07-12-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree with hairlesswookie that this forum is much more civil. I've had run-ins with several people over at RS that are just complete a**holes, no sugar coating about it. I still go to the site from time to time for information, but I find myself spending a lot more time reading this forum nowadays. Maybe we can get all the good people from RS to come over here and let the inmates keep their asylum over there. :D

KitFisto
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I have not been there in years myself and don't really plan to go back by. I like this forum.

I will say ( without really knowing ) that if the contest was "rigged" then it's crap and why bother even having a "contest" if you're just going to fix it? I am not judging them because I wasn't there and don't know all the facts. I am just going by the inital post here.

King Darkness
07-12-2006, 09:29 AM
well, it doesnt matter to me because i havent visited the site in years anyways. too many offensive people there for my tastes. i like it here much better. :D

My feelings exactly......RS has a totally different "feel" to it....This board is much more cival..

pixletwin
07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
So what did he actaully win by becoming honorary Fan Club President? Sounds like a "who cares" honor to me.
Yeah, It is stupid but I really don't care that much. He owns the site so I suppose that he has the right to run it however he wants (whether we agree or disagree with that doesn't factor into the equation).

There are people there who post at RS that I think are pretty cool (like amir, JediMike, and yes I even like Dooku1 and King_Kong), hopefully they didin't get banned, so I will still visit RS... after all, it was through RS that I found this sideshowfreaks (though after lurking in both I joined here first! :D ).

tomandshell
07-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I use Rebelscum as my unofficial Gentle Giant discussion home, since there's really not much else out there. Goodness knows GG's blog can't hold a candle to Sideshow's level of interaction with their fans. Now and then I may look around other parts of the site, but I just have the "GG busts and statues" section bookmarked. If I were to state that it seems a little convenient for someone financially connected to Lucasfilm to be winning such a widely publicized and visible honor, it looks like I would be banned. This reminds me of the lockdown at Statue Forum earlier this year. Things like this remind me that while these forums are open to the public, they are privately owned and operated and there are times that we can find ourselves at the mercy of the people that run them.

One more reason that we should appreciate SSF and Dave!!! No major problems, drama, trauma or heavy handed banning or threats around here from "the man"! Somebody get Dave a Malfoy!!!

:fireworks

Gran3131
07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
I have never been a member of Rebelscum and never plan to be. However, Like Tom said the GG discussion over there can be useful at times so I look in on them every once and a while.

For the most part you guys are right this title of honory fan club president probally will not do to much. However, wait untill C4 is done and then lets see if we say the same thing.

King Darkness
07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
One more reason that we should appreciate SSF and Dave!!! No major problems, drama, trauma or heavy handed banning or threats around here from "the man"! Somebody get Dave a Malfoy!!!

100% true....Dave gives us a wonderful board!!! Though I have been edited by Dave before, I have never felt like he was trying to censor or control what was being said on his board....My Crusadeing has gotten a little out of control before and I needed to be put back in my place, so it was ok:o....I love this board and Dave has done an awesome job running it!!

KitFisto
07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
My favorite thing about this board is the lack of "elitist" attitudes. So many boards have people who act like they OWN the board because they have been posting there and they have to put the "newbs" in their place. That does not happen here.

dregs
07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
I will agree everything is more friendly around here, it just sucks they cover a lot more of the collecting scene, but I LUB YOU ALL!! :chew

Buttmunch
07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
This board just feels friendly. That is why I've never liked Rebelscum. All they do is complain that the figures suck but they will get them anyway :rolleyes: We really seem to like one another here. I don't post at rebelscum, I just lurk their for some info that hasn't made it here yet, and I dislike some of the people over there that have nothing to say that has a point. Over here we are a community. We help each other out. Someone at rebelscum might be able to get you a GG Malfoy or Shocktrooper bust, but you will likely pay a pretty penny for it. For the most part everyone here sells things at cost or at least a very fair market value.

Dave needs Sideshow to make him into a SW military figure, or a LotR military figure, or a zombie for the DEAD! Cheers to Dave :duff

TOE
07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
this board is awesome!!! Thanks to Mr. Dave :) I have never been to Rebelscum and not planning on to. I have heard many "bad" stories about that forum, which makes me not want to even check it out. ...About the Presidential thing, that is just plain wrong. Over here, there are contest held and "real" contestants win. "Nuff" said. :D

Zakk Attakk
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
What's with all the hatrid to RS?

They are my favorite SW collecting database.:D

And not all of us hate figures made by SS. Those are just the "bashers", people who are commonly seen in the forums. And the reason I like RS is because everyone has their own individual opinion. I'll bet it would be pretty boring if it was just:

"oh i love ss" "yeah ss is so great" "everybody luvs ss"

RS is a great place. And Roberts won FAIR AND SQUARE.

DCFett
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
My favorite thing about this board is the lack of "elitist" attitudes. So many boards have people who act like they OWN the board because they have been posting there and they have to put the "newbs" in their place. That does not happen here.

Not to rain on the "I Luv SSF" and DAVE too, but there does seem to be a bit of elitism going on in here. I see guys with 1K+ post "put newbs in their place" from time to time. It seems hard to "be in" around here sometimes too, especially if you have some "complaint" about SS. Just my 2 cents.
I too agree with the fact that it's a private site and they can do what they want. The cronyism of the situation does suck though, but Ive always wonder how Steve Sansweet got into LFL too, but it's like everything, it's who you know.

Brent72
07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Zakk,

There is a ton of great information to be found on RS and in fairness it's probably the most comprehensive Star Wars collecting sit out there. However, that does not change the fact that it can be a very uncivil place at times and some of the members are very rude. I know nothing about the whole Fan Club President controversy as it doesn't concern me, but I do know that the forum has a fair share of obnoxious members which is something I've never encountered here.

TOE
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Not to rain on the "I Luv SSF" and DAVE too, but there does seem to be a bit of elitism going on in here. I see guys with 1K+ post "put newbs in their place" from time to time. It seems hard to "be in" around here sometimes too, especially if you have some "complaint" about SS. Just my 2 cents.

Don't be afraid to speak your mind. Many threads have been about Sideshow's bad sculpt, for example the Prodo PF, Aragorn's face sculpt, or Anakin's lips. Believe me, us freaks don't hold back. By doing so, SS correct what is needed to be changed.

Zakk Attakk
07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Zakk,

There is a ton of great information to be found on RS and in fairness it's probably the most comprehensive Star Wars collecting sit out there. However, that does not change the fact that it can be a very uncivil place at times and some of the members are very rude. I know nothing about the whole Fan Club President controversy as it doesn't concern me, but I do know that the forum has a fair share of obnoxious members which is something I've never encountered here.

True. Some of the people are rude from time to time. But mostly it's just a bunch of people who speak boldly about their opinions (sometimes comes off as a bti rude), and I think that's what makes RS fun.

RS is not a bad place.

pixletwin
07-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Me too. The two "rudest" people that I know of (http://216.240.137.29/avatars/13657.gif & http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/avatars/fig311.gif) are the best posts to read and they keep the discussions rolling alot of the time. :D

Zakk Attakk
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
True dat!:chew

galactiboy
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I was surprised to see the posting on RS front page about Dustin winning,I remember he was real behind in the polls when they closed. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the win was shady, but at the same time even if their is some weird stuff going on there are still good people on the board... and its another place to get info. I usually just check the 12" forum and the one for "West Michigan" to see what's on the pegs... aside from that I rarely venture out.

But I definitely agree that SSF is a much friendlier board to post on... typically a lot less bickering and name-calling. And you can even wage a Crusade or two in your spare time :monkey3

Darth Madden
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Of course there were some back door shenanigans going on but this kind of reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart looses his school presidential election and Homer is trying to chear him up and says "Is he going to have to do more work? YES. Does he get to throw out the first pitch at a baseball game? NO.. then let the baby have his bottle." I wouldn't worry about it.. not like he gets anything cool out of it anyway.

Sir Tristram
07-12-2006, 02:14 PM
True. Some of the people are rude from time to time. But mostly it's just a bunch of people who speak boldly about their opinions (sometimes comes off as a bti rude), and I think that's what makes RS fun.

RS is not a bad place.
Indeed. I believe it to be primarily misunderstanding or lack of vocal inflection.
I was weened on forums with tougher skins, that's for sure...namely Metal forums, such as Iron Maiden's and the like, but I agree, there is a point when one too many jerks get rowdy, However the Mods usually deal with them.

It is all simply a matter of preference. It's a like a click at work or school. There are the Nerdy groups, the Hippies, the Dirtbags, the jocks, the princesses (Man, sounds liek Breakfast Club!) and on and on...and a lot of people fall somewhere into all the catagories depending on who their friends are and what they are into.

Most people on forums never meet each other...If they did, I think they would act a bit differently (if there was some kind of personality quirk online in the past that lead to an altercation of sorts, that is).
For some it is escapism. But I agree that most of the time it is simply passionate people speaking passionately (and Boldly, as you said) about their passions/interests.

Now, that I strayed off course, I too, admit that I do not know about nor have I been following the Dustin story...It doesn't interest me...I will continue to be a Scummer...as I continue to be a SSF! There is room for all!

carbo-fation
07-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I only go to RS for SW information. I've noticed that the people there are can be very rude and disrespectful at times. That's why this is my favorite forum!

Agent0028
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Padme was way behind in the polls too and then she one the EU contest. I smell a Sith...

Darklord Dave
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I feel a lock coming on for this thread as I heartily discourage any bashing of other forums here. And I don't know enough about the honorary fan club thingie to really comment on it. But if he's supposed to represent fandom, I don't know of a greater number of SW fans than on RS. So he should know his constituency pretty well.

But Snowbunny Padme was way behind in the polls too and eventually won the EU vote.

And I know how frustrating it can be for a forum admin when people insistantly want to bring up a subject that can only spawn illwill and nasty posts (and at times, litigation).

I would also expect that a board like RS WOULD be entitled to some special treatment from LFL. Here we get prizes, and other perks from SSC too.

So let's be civil and no bashing - and no encouraging of King_Kong and Dooku1 to come over here, 'kay? :monkey3

pixletwin
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
So let's be civil and no bashing - and no encouraging of King_Kong and Dooku1 to come over here, 'kay? :monkey3
:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

JGouse0498
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I had a chance to read through these postings, and it seems as though my intention has gotten lost.

The Fan Club President controversy is NOT the problem. It never was. I mentioned only to give the necessary background. It was simply the powderkeg.

The real issue is how the site administrator has chosen to treat members who do not agree with him. I'll refer you back to this quote:

To those who are ****ed off Dustin won: Whether you showed your cards here or not, leave now. I don't wish you to be using our resources ever again.

Essentially, he doesn't want you around if you simply don't agree with their position...regardless of whether or not you ever said anything.

For the record, I could care less about the Fan Club thing. Yeah, I think it stinks, but oh well...big deal. It's what happened afterward that has furiated me, and that's what we should focus our decisions and opinions on.

Is it appropriate and excusable for a site administrator to evict (or intend to evict) people simply because they don't agree with him or her?

That's what I'm asking you to consider in this "boycott" and nothing more.

DarkArtist81
07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I've never been on the RS board, just didn't appeal to me really. I'm a huge SW fan and I still visit the site from time to time for info, because it's THE place to go for SW collecting news... But, I have heard some negative stuff about the board in the past and just decided to not go there...

I've tried several other forums and I have to say that most of them do suffer the "elitist" problem. I don't know why, it just happens.

But I'm glad that SSF doesn't have this issue. True, there are some groups of people that stick together and sometimes arguments erupt, but it's usually friendly banter and nothing too harsh. thankfully Dave keeps the throng at bay and never let's anything get too far out of hand.

I have lots of friends here and I don't really know of anyone on this site that is an enemy or anything like that.... That's a rare find in the online world and that's why I am exclusively here. :D

Wor-Gar
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Its difficult to ask people to boycott here as most seem to just peruse RS anyway for information. I admit, I often check out what they're talking about but I have not joined. Plus, I've heard many people here have already left RS long ago for the reasons mentioned above.

Boycott or no, if RS keeps up its current behavior its only a matter of time before you won't have to worry about it.

88th division
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
By the way. Since we are on the subject of other sites. Could someone post links to other Star Wars forums. Thanks in advance.

darthviper107
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Not all of RS is bad, that may be an issue but it's still pretty handy. I was there before coming here, and while the 12" section isn't that interesting anymore (I check this board every time I get on the internet) there are some good parts elsewhere, like the Master Replicas forums, those are pretty handy and they've got some good members of it. It may be wrong what Phillip is doing, but there's not much that can be done.

Deak Starkiller
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Before this gets closed, I feel that the whole argument is valid but otherwise futile. Oh and a lot of people on RS are well, I can't say but they use it a lot on Deadwood. And yes I am on RS as well. Hypocrite. :monkey3

TOE
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
The real issue is how the site administrator has chosen to treat members who do not agree with him. I'll refer you back to this quote:

Essentially, he doesn't want you around if you simply don't agree with their position...regardless of whether or not you ever said anything.

This thread is not really about Rebelscum as a whole but rather towards the Administrator that acts like a Greek God where if the member do not agree with his point, you will be kicked out. :google

Darth Scourge
07-13-2006, 05:38 AM
I never thought the fan club presidency was a credible position if you could "buy" it. But I'm still curious as to how Roberts won it if he was behind in the tally.

RogueJedi30
07-13-2006, 10:45 AM
The tally was clearly labeled unofficial and did not include any of the votes that were emailed in by existing members. Partly because at first the contest was just about getting new members, then existing members were a little upset that they had no control over who there "President" would be so HS allowed the emailing in of votes. I assume a lot of the email votes were for Dustin because of the RS/TFN connections and the fact that most regulars were probably already Hyperspace members.

LordAzrael
07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Padme was way behind in the polls too and then she one the EU contest. I smell a Sith...

From memory some obnoxious rebelscummer claimed responsibility for doing that too.......... (ie multiple accounts/votes)

Alice Adrenochrome
07-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Rebelscum. Rebelscum, Rebelscum, Rebelscum. Although I can't situate it right now, I'm sure I've heard that name before. Honestly! Hmmm...

Agent0028
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
From memory some obnoxious rebelscummer claimed responsibility for doing that too.......... (ie multiple accounts/votes)
Adams, Hayes, Kennedy, Bush, and now Padme, it's a conspiracy man! A conspiracy!

EVILFACE
07-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Most of those folks seem like whiney 12 year olds.

Customikey
07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I visit there for news on friggin toys. I couldn't care less about who's the boss of some fan club. You know, I was a charter member of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan Club when I was ten. I had the certificate, sticker, and everything. No bull***** politic-ing in that club, no sir!

This is just silly.

SolidLiquidFox
07-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I like participating in rebescum but try to steer clear of any politics. We are talking about collectibles here. Seems silly when the hobby takes itself too siriously.

pixletwin
07-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I like participating in rebescum but try to steer clear of any politics. We are talking about collectibles here. Seems silly when the hobby takes itself too siriously.
Yeah Look at Communism!:monkey1

D. Martin
07-15-2006, 06:39 PM
I never thought the fan club presidency was a credible position if you could "buy" it. But I'm still curious as to how Roberts won it if he was behind in the tally.

Trust me, none of us know what happened. Dustin as well. We were/ are surpised by the outcome. Dustin is a stand up guy and I'm glad he won, but I can assure you that there is nothing underhanded going on... Here's hoping Hyperspace addresses all of this soon.

JGouse0498
07-15-2006, 07:17 PM

However, this isn't a "political" issue. This is a "moral" issue. The issue isn't the Fan Club election results. The issue is, once again, the rude, abrasive, and demeaning attitude leveled at fans and collectors by the owner of Rebelscum. Just because I used the word "boycott", don't assume I'm playing a political angle because that's simply not the case.

It's a matter of what I feel is right or wrong. Anyone's free to agree or disagree with me. I just hope everyone can keep their eyes on the ball (so to speak) and understand exactly what I'm asking here.

Please don't support a site who treats its members so callously. That goes against what I believe is the spirit of an open, friendly online fan community.

D. Martin
07-15-2006, 10:01 PM
However, this isn't a "political" issue. This is a "moral" issue. The issue isn't the Fan Club election results. The issue is, once again, the rude, abrasive, and demeaning attitude leveled at fans and collectors by the owner of Rebelscum. Just because I used the word "boycott", don't assume I'm playing a political angle because that's simply not the case.

It's a matter of what I feel is right or wrong. Anyone's free to agree or disagree with me. I just hope everyone can keep their eyes on the ball (so to speak) and understand exactly what I'm asking here.

Please don't support a site who treats its members so callously. That goes against what I believe is the spirit of an open, friendly online fan community.

I tell you what Sith Lord 0498, you offer as much of yourself to helping the Star Wars community as Philip does, then you sit back and listen to all the people who hate you for it and see how well you react to haters in the forums you pay for.

Having watched all of it as it went in the RS forum, the true issue is how rude people using the forum were to Philip. Having known and having work beside him for as many years as I have, I can tell you that there aren't very many people with as much passion for our community as Philip, and some people can do nothing but **** on him for it. Before crucifying him for reacting to people who hate him without knowing him, maybe the haters should take a moment to get to know the guy. He doesn't do this for money, he does it because he loves Star Wars and he wants our community to always have a place where, no matter what your age, you can feel welcome in a positive environment.

Any money RS makes through its affiliate sources only helps with the monthly bills the site generates... The rest of the substantial costs come out of Philip's own pocket. Being someone on the inside, I can tell you for sure, RS is not a source of wealth for anyone. But it's an inviting place for anyone who doesn't want to piss on the furnature.

Agent0028
07-15-2006, 10:06 PM
But it's an inviting place for anyone who doesn't want to piss on the furnature.
Well that's enough for me to not join.

Sorry, but it just lent itself so nicely. So that I'm not being completely unproductive in this thread I'll just say it sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding and that this Phillip fellow was just reacting, and maybe he was a little heavy handed, but if he felt personally under attack maybe that's understandable. Prolly best to just let bygones be bygones (whatever bygones are :confused:) and move on.

pixletwin
07-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Thus saith the Lord. Amen. :D

Dave put it perfectly. Its not like we have to pay for it. What RS provides by way of reviews and information is pretty awesome. Especially considering that it is free. RS is an awesome place to visit. There are alot of cool people on there. If you don't agree with something an admin does (allegedly) just go somewhere else. It doesn't bug me and it doesn't bug most everyone else who has commented in this thread.

I (for one) am a bit bummed that you won't be around RS anymore because I thought you brought alot of cool stuff to some of the discussions.

Thanks for coming over here Dave and for your bluntness. :cool:

Now, when are you going to post your pics of Kit? :monkey3

D. Martin
07-15-2006, 10:19 PM
While my Kit hasn't arrived yet, I'm likely not going to be able to shoot it until after SDCC... Not that I won't have enough pics of SSC stuff up at Rebelscum to keep all y'all happy :) Forget not, SSC is my favourite company too, and now that they have SW I can justify shooting everything they have and getting it on RS. For what it's worth, SSC will be the first thing I shoot at SDCC... So like Toy Fair, it SSC will be the first thing on our front page.

I should have the 1:1 Scale Maul up this week and the second big SSC feature story will be up very soon.

pixletwin
07-15-2006, 10:22 PM
I will be laying out my sleeping bag and making camp at RS, here, and at the SSC site this week... I CANNOT WAIT. :blissy

I am glad my boss also chose this week to be in Disney Land. ;)

Buttmunch
07-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Right. Your boss isn't going to DisneyLand. He's going to SDCC and is afraid you guys would make fun of him or give him a hard time because you can't go :lol

pixletwin
07-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Right. Your boss isn't going to DisneyLand. He's going to SDCC and is afraid you guys would make fun of him or give him a hard time because you can't go :lol

:lol :lol :lol You might be right!

Just one more comment from me on this thread:

A website is more a person's house than a democracy. Someone comes in my house and disrespects me or my family I am gonna have to ask them to leave. Now if you we were all paying to visit, then maybe I would be a little miffed. But the internet is more an anarchy than a democracy!
http://www.mostlyposters.com/images/posters/fullsize/ST1970-Anarchy-Logo.jpg

Fubeca
07-16-2006, 12:44 AM
So did we get mad at High School elections too? I don't get it. Now should we open this up to comments on Statue Forum? JK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :monkey1

Fubeca
07-16-2006, 12:46 AM
ooooooooooooo, Utah guys have taken over this thread, oooooooooooooooooo!

JGouse0498
07-16-2006, 06:37 AM
I tell you what Sith Lord 0498, you offer as much of yourself to helping the Star Wars community as Philip does, then you sit back and listen to all the people who hate you for it and see how well you react to haters in the forums you pay for.

Having watched all of it as it went in the RS forum, the true issue is how rude people using the forum were to Philip. Having known and having work beside him for as many years as I have, I can tell you that there aren't very many people with as much passion for our community as Philip, and some people can do nothing but **** on him for it. Before crucifying him for reacting to people who hate him without knowing him, maybe the haters should take a moment to get to know the guy. He doesn't do this for money, he does it because he loves Star Wars and he wants our community to always have a place where, no matter what your age, you can feel welcome in a positive environment.

Any money RS makes through its affiliate sources only helps with the monthly bills the site generates... The rest of the substantial costs come out of Philip's own pocket. Being someone on the inside, I can tell you for sure, RS is not a source of wealth for anyone. But it's an inviting place for anyone who doesn't want to piss on the furnature.

I also watched how things went down in the RS forums. Yes, there were people who were out of line. That was unfortunate, and they didn't even deserve a response for how they were acting. However, there were plenty of people who were perfectly civil toward the end and merely questioned decisions and issues.

I can respect anyone who dedicates that much of their time to the Star Wars community. However, I will quickly lose that respect when they act similarly to how Philip did.

To tell people who didn't even post anything negative to get out and never return simply because they feel a certain way...that is inexcusable.

I'll be honest. I don't agree with you at all. But I'm not going to lash out at you or tell you that you should leave here. I have enough dignity to take negative comments in stride and not fall into a heated argument. That's why I will be leaving Rebelscum once my last few deals are finished with other members. I cannot be a patron of a place with that particular attitude.

In short, I respect our mutual right to disagree.

My purpose in creating this thread is to expose the ungentlemanly attitude of Rebelscum's chief administrator. What is done with that information from here on out...that's out of my control. For my part, I've done all I can to bring this poor display of etiquette to light in a civilized (yet obviously impassioned) way, and now I can leave this behind me and focus on the hobby...as it should be.

It's out of my hands now, and people are free to act on this information according to their own beliefs.

JohnyBoo
07-16-2006, 08:18 AM
I really don't invest alot of time posting in forums, it took me forever to get the posts I have here and I love it here. I visist RS daily, it has lots of info and the posts are entertaining. I have posted from time to time there and was treated OK...it is all relative to what you expect from a forum. For me it is info first and then entertainment. For some it is more important to them and they have alot of time invested. I dont see alot of people leaving RS for this issue. Most like me dont really understand it or truly care that much. But I can see how it might really sour someone who truly loves the place.

Zakk Attakk
07-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Hey, everybody! Let's go to Rebelscum!:monkey5

D. Martin
07-16-2006, 09:07 AM
My purpose in creating this thread is to expose the ungentlemanly attitude of Rebelscum's chief administrator. What is done with that information from here on out...that's out of my control. For my part, I've done all I can to bring this poor display of etiquette to light in a civilized (yet obviously impassioned) way, and now I can leave this behind me and focus on the hobby...as it should be.

It's out of my hands now, and people are free to act on this information according to their own beliefs.

Problem is that you are taking one single negative situation where the man was clearly reacting to a group of knuckleheads who had no respect what so ever. When you weigh this one situation against everything positive Philip has done for the Star Wars collection community, your point falls short.

All I'm asking is that you don't look at the events on a bad day without at least admitting that their are hundreds of good days being disregarded in your attempt to encourage other collectors to agree with you.

Darklord Dave
07-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I know there have been times when I've wanted to tell certain individuals to just leave this forum. It can get frustrating when you put a lot of effort into something to have others come over and just "p*** on the furniture".

But I understand SithLord's position and I'm glad he's presented it in a civil manner.

JGouse0498
07-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I know there have been times when I've wanted to tell certain individuals to just leave this forum. It can get frustrating when you put a lot of effort into something to have others come over and just "p*** on the furniture".

But I understand SithLord's position and I'm glad he's presented it in a civil manner.

I appreciate that, Dave, and thank you for letting both sides of this issue be heard without fear of reprisal or administrative action. :chew

Fubeca
07-16-2006, 03:42 PM

Sorry Dave, :monkey1 :monkey3