Firefly DVD/BLU Amazon deal of the day - 11-1-12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's the deal of the day again. $18.99 for Blu-Ray, $14.99 for DVD.

Not the lowest price it's ever been but still, a bargain if you have never seen it.

Also new on Blu to be released Tuesday, Farscape, the series. The source video for this series was not that great, however, so the transfer to BR is not the greatest. It's also missing the tie-up movie, The Peacekeeper Wars. Still, next to Buffy/Angel, probably my all-time favorite SF TV series. Damn, I loved this show, too. But I have the full Starburst and original ADV releases, so the BR is going to wait until it goes on a little better discount.

Last edited:
Re: Firefly DVD/BLU Amazon deal of the day - 11-13-11

Sadly, not everything which makes its way to bluray actually looks better.
I have the Farscape series on DVD. I'm willing to bet the upgrade to bluray will barely be noticeable, if at all.

Last edited:

Hmm, $19 for bluray is a good deal. But since I already have it on dvd, I think I can wait until next year for another good deal. But thank you for the heads up!!!!

Sadly, not everything which makes its way to bluray actually looks better.
I have the Farscape series on DVD. I'm willing to bet the upgrade to bluray will barely be noticeable, if at all.

Having already bought Firefly on Blu, I can honestly say that the transfer is excellent. Plenty of difference to warrant the upgrade imo :)

Having already bought Firefly on Blu, I can honestly say that the transfer is excellent. Plenty of difference to warrant the upgrade imo :)

Firefly was shot on film which makes a difference. Farscape was a syndicated show which began in 1999 (which I imagine you already know) and the producers may not have thought ahead like Joss did. I would love to hear that Farscape was cleaned up as it's one of all time favorite series. However, having seen some of the early episodes recently, it looks like there's lots of work that would need to get done to HDify the series. I may be wrong but I believe that while the show may have been shot on film, it may have edited in video to save cash which means it would likely require a complete revamp of the visual effects (very pricey -- ask the Star Trek fellows).

Last edited:
Almost a year ago to the day - DEAL OF THE DAY AGAIN!

Really, now you have no excuse. Again.

Check out all the Whedon goodies!!!!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27[/ame]

Kind of gauche to post a reply to yourself, but just a note to realize that all the Whedon TV shows (and Horrible) are in on this sale. If you are only a Buffy or Angel or Firefly or Dollhouse or Horrible fan, it is well worth it to give the other shows a shot. Most are available free with a Prime subscription at least if you want to preview. Unfortunately, Angel and Buffy are still DVD only (seems likely they'll never be upgraded to HD).

It's probably Joss's success with Avengers that prompted this sale, for which I am grateful for what I think is an otherwise slightly better than mediocre kid-targeted superhero movie. But for me at least, this is where it's really at.

Kind of gauche to post a reply to yourself, but just a note to realize that all the Whedon TV shows (and Horrible) are in on this sale. If you are only a Buffy or Angel or Firefly or Dollhouse or Horrible fan, it is well worth it to give the other shows a shot. Most are available free with a Prime subscription at least if you want to preview. Unfortunately, Angel and Buffy are still DVD only (seems likely they'll never be upgraded to HD).

It's probably Joss's success with Avengers that prompted this sale, for which I am grateful for what I think is an otherwise slightly better than mediocre kid-targeted superhero movie. But for me at least, this is where it's really at.

Man, if those two do get upgraded.....

:yess: :panic:

I have everything but Dollhouse season 2. I still need to catch up on that but don't plan to do anymore purchasing this year unless it's something I need.

I agree. It transferred to bluray better than I thought it would.

I was at Bestbuy a couple of months ago and they had Firefly on for 19.99 so I scooped it up then. It's good that I did because We had one of our discs signed from our dvd set but Jose and Ben, so I wouldn't be able to watch anyways without worry.

I still need to get this in HD one day. I have the DVDs currently, but haven't been compelled enough to upgrade.

Back