photography lighting...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twik25

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just thought I would share this. I purchased 2 of these LED lights from Home Depot for $5 a piece. Cover the lights with a white plastic shopping bag to act as a diffuser... and you have your self a pretty decent lighting setup...

lighting_setup.jpg

I just want that Ryu figure. I don't care how you light it. :pfft:

No but seriously. I suck at photography, so this'll help a lot. Thanks.

They have a stocking stuffer section at the front of the store. Lots of led lights. Look for the ones that are magnetized on the bottom...

Just white foamcore. If you really wanted, you could buy a large sheet of glossy paper, and create a sweep!

Wouldn't the glossy paper reflect the light back on the lens?
Where do you recommend we get the paper.
Im always looking for cheap ways to make my pics look better
Thanks!

Wouldn't the glossy paper reflect the light back on the lens?
Where do you recommend we get the paper.
Im always looking for cheap ways to make my pics look better
Thanks!

It could, depending on where the lights are positioned. Hobby Lobby and Michaels are great for stuff like that. Should only run about $2. And don't forget, HL and Michaels always have %40-%50 off coupons... Just check their site.

Thanks for the tips twik25.
I tryed this myself but had to improvise on a stand for the lights lol

I tryed it with a black background but on the closup pics it appears pixelated so will try with the glossy paper as you said :hi5:

Looks GREAT! My guess is that the pixels you are referring to is actually noise. I took the first image below with my iphone (which doesn't have good settings to take good photos in this situation. As you can see, there is a lot of noise in the photo. When shooting photos, there is a constant balancing act between your ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. It really does help to have a DSLR (the image you see below is uneditied straight out of a Nikon D7000 and a tripod as well.

What I ended up doing with the black background was covering the poster board with some black cloth

Photography_setup.jpg

Screen-Shot-2011-11-23-at-8_18.jpg

I just got some full spectrum light bulbs. Tried them out on my new figure....

Does a great job. I think better than the LED. Costs more but not by much

This way its as close to daylight as you can get
Take a look:

DSC04162.jpg

DSC04180.jpg

Back