Tron Identity Disc/ Baton Side Show

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood

Super Freak
Reaction score
Any word on these items yet? I have posed the question to Sideshow numerous times, and never get a response. I know there are a few members here in contact with Sideshow, and some work for them. So whats the deal with these products?:panic:

A few months back in an "Ask Sideshow," they said they were still very committed to the Tron Legacy license and there would be some reveals after SDCC. It sounded like the lighting was a hang up based on what they said. Back in December it looked like they were working on a Rinzler, which we have now seen, a Quorra, a 1:4 scale light cycle, and a disc replica. I wonder if we saw a Rinzler statue because his outfit has the least amount of lighting.

I'm not sure what the status of any of it is, as of right now. Neither Sideshow or Hot Toys have said a ton. Either future product is still tied up in research and development and they know the fans will be there when the stuff is ready or what has been released hasn't sold well enough to motivate them to move any faster. Or if the truth is somewhere in the middle. All HT has claimed is they have had scheduling issues and that has been interpreted in all sorts of ways.

I suppose it is also possible they are holding on to some things to see if Tron:Uprising lights a fire under anyone or what happens with the rumored Tron 3.

SSC and HT really blew this license by not only not having items ready at theatrical release but they didn't even deliver product by DVD release!!

How is it that Spinmasters can produce products in the 100,000s of units to stores in time for the movies but a limited edition company cannot?

Thanks for the replies. Who knows is really the best possible answer. I know personaly from owning an original screen used disc that the lighting elements are unreal. I believe Disney told me that there were 112 watch batteries lighting the disc itself. So the disc I get, but the figures.............come on really?

I am really surprised by Sideshows lack of commitment to this line in a timely fashion. I understand licensing issues with Disney, and product develpment, but the reality is that they had the license in place well before the movie release, and certainly before the BluRay release. I was looking forward to the 1:4 scale cycle and the baton/ disc, but I guess its like spitting in the wind.

It's definitely a tough licence to work with due to the lighting. When I started working on a Tron costume/modding lightdiscs and following the RPF thread, seeing all the difficulties there, that's when I figured that statues/props would be pretty heavily delayed. There's a lot that can go wrong with more difficult lighting work.

It sucks though and I do hope they keep working on the lines (both Sideshow and Hot Toys).

Hey everyone...
Sorry so late to the party, but does anyone know if this has this officially died yet? I haven't seen any SS updates, but maybe I missed something in previous posts.

I was so looking fwd to this when announced. But I have my RPF upgrade kits at home I guess I'll finally start tinkering with to make the $20 toys into something higher-end.

I'm in for a LightDisc replica, if it comes.

I've got a feeling that unless the Rinzler statue sells well we won't get these, and Rinzler has a real awkward pose which wont help IMO

I have serious doubts that these props will see the light of day with Sideshow. Just like the Hot Toys Sam Flynn lightcycle, the electronics are proving way to complex to make a version for collectors that won't break in 10 minutes. I think we have to remember that the screen used light-up discs had 112 watch batteries powering the LED's which could only stay lit for 20 minutes before going dead. Add to that....each disc cost 15K to build for production, and had a ton of difficulty during production with dead LED's etc.

I think Sideshow was a bit too ambitious on the Tron line.

Last edited:
On the other side of the coin Spin Masters release nice discs for $20 each.

I'm sure SSC could accomplish SOMETHING in the middle.

I have serious doubts that these props will see the light of day with Sideshow. Just like the Hot Toys Sam Flynn lightcycle, the electronics are proving way to complex to make a version for collectors that won't break in 10 minutes. I think we have to remember that the screen used light-up discs had 112 watch batteries powering the LED's which could only stay lit for 20 minutes before going dead. Add to that....each disc cost 15K to build for production, and had a ton of difficulty during production with dead LED's etc.

I think Sideshow was a bit too ambitious on the Tron line.

It wouldn't be that difficult. Monster made a fantastic iPod audio dock that uses standard AC power and lights up quite nicely. Maybe not as bright as the discs seen in the movie, but bright enough. Put some kind of rechargeable battery pack inside the disc so that it can light up while off its stand and you've got a winner.

tron-ipod-dock-590x367.jpg

If they can't even get the Rinzler Maquette to work propery with little pin point LED's, they sure as heck are not doing the disc, or the 1:4 lightcycle. Not cost effective, nor durable enough. Spinmaster was smart and used only a few lights to put out their version, Sideshow wants to replicate the prop. That would mean a couple hundred LED's and 112 watch batteries. Even on the set the LED's were going out, and the batteries were dying. I am sure none of us want to spend $300+ only to have a prop that breaks after a few uses.

Any word on the Tron Disc and Baton from Sideshow? They did that cool behinds the scenes video showing us the work in progress, and now nothing?

I had been sitting and waiting for Sideshow to do something with that set up but I'm afraid its dead, as well.

I couldn't wait any longer so I used some kits to make my own. The discs are the Soulinertia mod kit (Sam Flynn and CLU versions) and the Batons are a kit that had a short run on therpf by ArtFunk.
kpno.jpg

One baton is a "stunt" that uses reflective decals for the light up detail and has an encased magnet to attach the baton to a costume. Then the "hero" baton is the light-up version. I love my batons and they mean even more to me since I was the one who put them together and painted them.

I'm not giving up on this line. All those Sideshow guys would look really bad if they don't finish it. Sideshow would essentially go on my list of people not to be believed like some comic artists/writers that say they are working on stuff only to never release it after years. Or drop out and go to another project after selling one piece / a few issues. It's bad business.

Back