Q: Using Gentle Giant minibusts as a source of 1/6 headsculpts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrusa

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
A post on another board brought recently to my attention Gentle Giant minibusts - they are 1/6 and so can be exploited in making 1/6 custom figures. The original post mentioned recasting headsculpts from molds created using minibusts. However, I am more interested in a possibility of using minibust's head directly as a headsculpt for a custom 1/6 figure. Anyone ever tried to do that? What material are the minibusts made of? How difficult is it to cut the head off and drill it?

I hope I didn't make any avid collector of GG minibusts sick with my suggestion of butchering them to get the headsculpts - if so please accept my apology but know I am ready to sacrifice a lot (minibusts included) to create custom figures I want ;)

Quite easy to remove the heads actually.
Dont really need a saw... what I do is wrap the head sculpt with cloth... make sure you wrap enough around the head... then gently use a mallet or hammer and start tapping the back of the head. Usually within a few taps the head will come off. Maybe im lucky usually i get a clean cut.

Quite easy to remove the heads actually.
Dont really need a saw... what I do is wrap the head sculpt with cloth... make sure you wrap enough around the head... then gently use a mallet or hammer and start tapping the back of the head. Usually within a few taps the head will come off. Maybe im lucky usually i get a clean cut.

Thanks for a reply. Interesting and quite bold approach. Interesting how you have found out it works at all - I wouldn't think of trying such thing without references from others who already tried that. Anyway, good news is it works and I am not the only one choping minibusts' heads off.

Well many ppl have done it...You just have to be bold sometimes...
Ive chopped off quite a few heads from GG T3 T850 ornament
38263836-260x260-0-0_Gentle+Giant+Terminator+3+Battle+Damaged+T+850+Orn.jpg

Thats probably 8 years ago now lol wow! They had clearance which cost around $15 each!
Duckgoo over at OSW chopped off quite a few matrix bust sculpts to make his own 1/6 matrix action figures...
Sovereign studio use to sell a whole set of GG matrix head sculpt casts too.

Back