1/6th VS. Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spicymustard

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi I hope I'm not opening a Coke v. Pepsi can of worms here...but I'm trying to get sorted out on which to collect. I know easy answer it to do both when necessary, but I much prefer to stick to a common theme, it just soothes my mind.

Let me preface by saying that if the prices made more sense, then I feel like it would be an easier choice. But 1/6th scale prices seem to be skyrocketing, while PF are generally not. For example, if 1/6th scale generally weighed in at $80, and PF $300, then that would make sense to me, and I think they could be viewed as equal values.

Now you've got IG-88 and Boba at $175, Greivous at $200, DX Luke at ~$300+, I mean at what point does the massive scale and quality of PF just win out assuming they are in similar price brackets.

Now for 1/6th, its obviously got the pose-ability going for it, which is fun and interesting, but I find after a short amount of time, they end up just being posed in one position for the majority of the time. The other big plus is the amount of characters released. Though that can be a plus to PF depending on your outlook, and your ability to keep up.

I had really thought I put the issue to bed, and decided on 1/6th. But looking at Bacara, at $135 for what appears to be a slightly kitted out trooper, that would have gone for $90. I also recently saw the non-EX clone trooper PF for $220 street. Do these prices make sense at all? I would generally think that a PF is easily worth ~3x a 1/6th scale in overall quality, value, and satisfaction of ownership in theoretical cognitive currency.

Anyways, I'm rambling, and I like to over think things, thoughts?

I think it is a personal decision about collecting what you enjoy most. I prefer the size and poseability of 1/6 figures. While the price of 1/6 figuers is increasing quicker than PFs I still prefer them as a collectible.

I do have 2 PFs in my collection (Conan and Darkness) but I see those as a good option if I just want one piece to represent a character or movie. This also fits with my disinterest in 1/4 articulated figures. Sure they'll be cool and possibly a combination of the best aspects of both... but just not a scale that I like.

Most collect both while some feel elite because they collect only one kind mainly.

that probably wasn't the point of your post, but i don't think "most" collect both. after all the 1/6 scale figures production runs triple or quadruple PF runs so the math doesn't support that.

that probably wasn't the point of your post, but i don't think "most" collect both. after all the 1/6 scale figures production runs triple or quadruple PF runs so the math doesn't support that.
Most don't collect at all, IMO.

As for the answer to your question, it is 1/6th.

To put it another way:

If you're a 1/6th collector, what are the factors that make you prefer 1/6th. Do you genuinely prefer 1/6th over PF, regardless of price. Even, if at some point down the road, they start retailing for the same price, are you still die hard 1/6th?

If you collect both, how do you feel about their differences, what do you like about each. If down the road they retail for the same price, would you move over to just PF?

If you only collect PF, what makes you prefer them over 1/6th?

I've paid around $500 for my custom figures... and there are many who spend even more on a single figure. So cost is not a major factor; however space is and with so many new releases some of my older 1/6 figures are getting the boot to make room for new.

Can't really ever see feeling that way for PFs, they're cool and I like the 2 I have; but I don't need a room full of them... whereas I have over 100 1/6 figures.

I constantly debate this myself but always stay with 1/6. Mostly b/c i love the aspect of real cloth, poseability and I feel there is more variety with the switch hands/feet and other accessories, and a better probability of getting a character you really like made vs a PF which is anyones guess me thinks.

I don't like the inconsistency of some PF's being mostly or fully sculpted when I feel they should have fabric parts. Like the Movie Cap piece the upper portion is fully sculpted. why? the pants are cloth so why didn't they go with fabric for above the waist? or the cyclops and gambit PFs? why didn't gambit at least get some leather like pants and Cyclops not get a full fabric suit like wolverine? All we got with both of those was a leather like jacket. Things like that bother me about the PF line.

With 1/6 you're pretty much guaranteed to get fabric pieces with sculpted pieces on top like the armor an top of the clone jump suit for example vs fully sculpted piece.

It's also a scale issue for me as in where the ef would I put PFs? 1/6 figures fit nicely in the detolf and many can occupy the space that only 1 PF would allow

It's a matter of personal preference and which characters you want to collect. I go for the character no matter the scale since they make some in 1/6 that they don't make in 1/4 and vice versa (ie; Conan the Barbarian for one)

1/6th you have to have 100 of so people notice them ;) 1/4th's people notice and don't accuse you of playing with dolls. ;) Just joking 1/6th fans. ;)

1/6th you have to have 100 of so people notice them ;) 1/4th's people notice and don't accuse you of playing with dolls. ;) Just joking 1/6th fans. ;)

Ya, I get teased about owning dolls all the time with the 1/6 stuff. Not so with the 1/4.

If you don't mind joints, 1:6 is great.

If you don't mind stuff that uses a lot of space (storage and display) and costs more, then PF is great.

I personally think 1:6 kicks butt.

i don't play with 1/6th figures like i did as a kid,......but.........it's nice to have that option if i were so inclined. i could regress one day & i will be ready.............:)

Honestly I collect items based on 2 criteria...
1. Do I like the character.
2. Does the piece look good.
It really doesn't matter what the format is. I'll collect busts, hasbro figures, 1:6, and PF. Hell, I even have a Boba Fett collectors plate. Buy what makes you happy. You can make any collection look good, no matter how eclectic it is.

Honestly I collect items based on 2 criteria...
1. Do I like the character.
2. Does the piece look good.
It really doesn't matter what the format is. I'll collect busts, hasbro figures, 1:6, and PF. Hell, I even have a Boba Fett collectors plate. Buy what makes you happy. You can make any collection look good, no matter how eclectic it is.

:goodpost:
Yep totally agree, I collect what I like and what looks good. I dont care if its a little bitty hasbro figure...if I like the figure and I feel its worth it I buy it, all the way up to SS/HT 1/6 or the next awesome PF.

1/6 for me, I generally like the scale good mix between detail achievable & size, while I don't have all the SW 1/6ers my collection is substantial something I could not do with PF's, I also like to pick my own pose. The only PF I've considered or wish I'd got was the Biker Scout & Bike

l like PFs over1/6. 1/6 get loose over time and are just too small. PFs a huge and full of awesomeness. When friends come over they never liked my 1/6 stuff, they would be like "why do you collect toys", but then they would see my PFs and be like "damn those things are kick ass". l guess 1/6 are toys and PF are statues.

l like PFs over1/6. 1/6 get loose over time and are just too small. PFs a huge and full of awesomeness. When friends come over they never liked my 1/6 stuff, they would be like "why do you collect toys", but then they would see my PFs and be like "damn those things are kick ass". l guess 1/6 are toys and PF are statues.

I'd choose friends that don't judge :nana:

1/6 for me. When I first got into collecting, I was in awe at Hot Toys Joker. I loved the variety of 1/6 figures as PF are only whatever Sideshow releases while I get far more choices at 1/6. I also hate having figures of different scales, so 1/6 is perfect for me! I'm also probably going to duck out on the 1/4 figures as well as they'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back