Star Wars: A New Hope vs The Empire Strikes Back

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAWS

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Now I don't write this to start any Wars. I understand that there are those who like one of the other films better. But for the most part ANH and ESB are known as the best 2 of the series.

So I watched the OT on Bly ray (don't know when I will get to the PT) and I noticed something strange. I really enjoyed ANH much more then Empire. For years and years Empire was my fav of the OT. But as of late (the past three years or so) I have really found ANH to be more enjoyable.

Now here are some reasons why

1. Pacing - ANH is perfectly paced. I am never once board. Even after seeing the film a billion times it still feels fresh. The film speeds by without any lag. Not so sure I can say the same for Empire. The whole Falcon in the Astroid and Luke in the Tree of the Dark Side have always been my least fav. parts and now I find they really slow the film up. Sure we get some important info (Han and Leia Kiss, Luke finds out he's not ready) but the pacing is off.

2. Characters - This is almost a draw but what I think helps ANH over Empire is that because they all shared the screen together in ANH thus giving them more to do and play off each other. It was also the first film so we were getting to know them all.

3. The Fun Factor - ANH is just so much fun. I really can watch it anytime. Empire is a darker film which makes it great but just not as much fun to watch.

4. The Death Star Battle - Just a perfect big ending that really brings the film together.

Now I do find that Empire still wins in some areas

1. Darth Vader - He is such a bad ass in Empire. You can hear James Earl Jones' voice shake with controlled anger. By far the best version on Vader we get.

2. Yoda - Lets face it many of us live by the saying WWYD. Such a great preformance by Frank Oz.

3. Snow Walkers, Astroid Chases and Light Saber duels - Great action scenes that still stand as some of the best the series has to offer.

4. "No, I am Your Father" Nuff said

I guess I see them as Star Wars being the more enjoyable film while Empire is the Better made film (though I am not sure I agree with that anymore)

So What say you fellow freaks? Who do you pick and more importantly why?

Star Wars is the classic, Empire is the masterpiece.

Nothing about Empire is off or lacking to me. Its one of the few "perfect" genre films, in the same company as Raiders and Jaws, even surpassing them IMO.

Nothing about Empire is off or lacking to me. Its one of the few "perfect" genre films, in the same company as Raiders and Jaws, even surpassing them IMO.

Agreed :lecture

Star Wars is the classic, Empire is the masterpiece.Nothing about Empire is off or lacking to me. Its one of the few "perfect" genre films, in the same company as Raiders and Jaws, even surpassing them IMO.

Well said Kev! SW is iconic in every way. Every single facet of the film just screams classic, from the costumes to the sets to the effects to the props. Empire is a level above in terms of overall craftsmanship, story and drama.

I look at the OT like this:

ANH- My Favorite: Partially because it is the first, there is nothing but adventure and it works as part of a series or a stand-alone film.

ESB- The Best: As has been said the movie is as close to perfect as you can get and the darker tone and relationship/character development is excellent.

ROTJ- The Most Fun: Sure it has a happy ending and is more intentionally aimed at a younger audience. But Jabba's sequence is fantastic, Endor is a lot of fun and the space battle above the Second Death star is fantastic. Not to mention I think that the final showdown between Vader and Luke is one of the best sequences of the entire series.

ANH- My Favorite: Partially because it is the first, there is nothing but adventure and it works as part of a series or a stand-alone film.

ESB- The Best: As has been said the movie is as close to perfect as you can get and the darker tone and relationship/character development is excellent.

ROTJ- The Most Fun: Sure it has a happy ending and is more intentionally aimed at a younger audience. But Jabba's sequence is fantastic, Endor is a lot of fun and the space battle above the Second Death star is fantastic. Not to mention I think that the final showdown between Vader and Luke is one of the best sequences of the entire series.

Agreed! :lecture

Can you imagine living during that time? The dawn of the blockbuster. I can.

I did! :lecture

It seems like we are all pretty much in agreement so far. ANH is a classic and great film but ESB surpassed and perfected it. I agree.

:exactly:

couldn't of said better man. same way I see it

What Would Yoda Do...... :dunno I don't say it either.

I was just joking. Sort of like all the T shirts that have the What would --- fill in the blank ---- Do?

I guess I could have said how many of us have quoted yoda. But we quote everyone in those films. Just saying yoda is a character wise beyond his 900 yrs.

It seems like we are all pretty much in agreement so far. ANH is a classic and great film but ESB surpassed and perfected it. I agree.

I think I agree. I use to agree 100% I have just found that as of late I find ANH to be better.

Part of it could be that I have children now.

Just so every knows

I think of Empire as a one of the perfect films. Along with JAWS, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Godfather.

I have to give the most fun Award to ANH. Sure Jedi tried to be more fun but in the process it became a tad to silly. If Jedi could have lived up to the same quality standards as the first two films I think I would agree. However Star Wars ANH is about as much fun as you can have at the movies IMO.

I will agree the second Death Star effects were great but having Lando up there instead of Han sort of takes the fun out of it. I love that Wedge is there kicking butt again though.

I also think I would like the Vader vs Luke duel better if it was not done so perfectly in Empire. There was a lot to live up to there.

Nope. Nothing can beat the perfection that is JAWS.

Brother from another mother. Lock thissumbeech up.

Back