Disney's The Lion King: Homage, or stealing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avenger

Super Freak
Reaction score
You make the call:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4GR0DconsU&feature=relmfu"]The Lion King - Homage or Stealing? Rotten Tomatoes Show - YouTube[/ame]

Kalifornia uberalles = stealing

normal people who appreciate superior animation = I don't care. I'm sure Kimba made all the money it was capable of making by the time Disney did whatever they did with it (if they did anything). If the creators of the first cared, they could have filed a lawsuit for copyright infringement.

EDIT: Kimba was made in 1965. I think someone should sue. While they're at it, they need to contact the estates of the French fairy tale writers who created Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty & the Beast, and The Little Mermaid.

What about Peter Pan? Did they have J.M. Barrie's blessing? I bet they didn't.

Corporate vampire babyeater crack peddler swine. :cuss

EDIT2: Oh, wait. Here's more.

Because of an FCC ruling in 1971 declaring networks could no longer syndicate programs they produced themselves, National Telefilm Asscociates (NTA) purchased the syndication rights for "Kimba" from NBC; this arrangement lasted until late September 1978. In the interim, however, two negative developments arose: (1) Mushi Productions, the animation company behind "Kimba," went out of business (bankruptcy) in June 1973; and (2) because of heightened "political correctness," some viewers were offended by the portrayal of a few human characters. With regard to Mushi's bankruptcy, however, NBC (carrying out orders from Japan) instructed NTA at the end of their "Kimba" syndication duties in 1978 to return all syndication prints, etc. of "Kimba" to NBC's New York offices; the prints and all other "Kimba" - related material were then stored away in NBC's warehouse "until further notice." In early 2005, however, after many years of waiting, Right Stuf Home Video secured the DVD rights to the entire "Kimba" series (presumably, the late Osamu Tezuka, an animator at Mushi who later formed his own Tezuka Productions company, held the rights to the "Kimba" characters after Mushi went under), and, to the delight of many fans, finally released all 52 original "Kimba" episodes - digitally remastered, of course - in an "Ultra" DVD collectors' box set in June of that year.

I wonder which of those 52 episodes Disney stole those 56 seconds worth of clips from.

Last edited:
I saw Kimba The White Lion shown in TV-5 (local Philippine free-TV channel) during the 90's. Never thought it was a rip-off, because I never watched it. I thought it had a completely-different story. :slap

I lol'd at the part when the narrator said Disney said its all a coincidence. It looks very similar.

Say, this fish looks a lot like another fish I know...

this-is-not-nemo.jpg

1994 called, it wants it's controversy back.

edit: forgot about the 3D re-release, I guess that's why this is coming up again

It's been 17 years, my level of ____ I give whether or not Disney outright stole a story has long expired. I love Disney's The Lion King and really don't care if some other animated short has the same stuff because it isn't the same.

Hakuna Matata.

1994 called, it wants it's controversy back.

edit: forgot about the 3D re-release, I guess that's why this is coming up again

That, and I just found the video pretty funny. I like the sports announcer routine. Gave me a chuckle. Disney has (as was pointed out) rehashed numerous stories, and made some blockbusters that way. I guess that's kind of their bag, to make classics even better.

Back