Help with HS paint..how to?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyranus7

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi there, a few days ago I bought one of those great HS of Christian Bale, this is the one I am talking about:

IMG_4593.jpg

the head is not in my power yet, but it will be in a couple of weeks. Ok, so I was reading in this thread how to paint the face:

https://blog.castlebrimstone.com/?p=499

And in this other, how to paint the eyes:

https://blog.castlebrimstone.com/?p=5

Ok. At this point I have some issues trying to get the recomended materials. First, I can't find anywhere those:

- Tamiya Flat White
- Tamiya Buff
- Tamiya Clear Red
- Tamiya Flat Base

I can find those Tamiya color, but only for sale on eBay from Hong Kong, but I don't wat to buy from there because it takes too long to arrive to my country (Chile). And of course I can't find them here in Chile neither. I go to stores and try to ask for something like "acrylic paint on water", but they don't know what I am talking about. Maybe I am not translating this well. So questions:

1) What is the "generic" or "no-brand" name for Tamiya Colors??
2) What other brands can I buy instead of Tamiya. And what are the color equivalence.. ie buff= yellow something?? (in the other brand)..

Other question which is on my mind is the one about what the autor of the tutorial uses something called "Future Floor Polish".. acording to the website of of SC Johnson this product was renamed to "Pledge".. and it says it is wax for the floor :confused: Just to be clear.. "future floor polish" is that thing we use to clean and shine the floor??? In that case this is the one equivalent here in Chile???:

838631.jpg

It says it has no color and it is SC Johnson's family.

Another thing is, how do I paint the hair?? using acrylic paint?? Or what kind of paint?

And finally, what colors (name of colors) do you think Elvis1976 utilized to obtain this :monkey4:

IMG_3396.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, found this website where you can convert colors from one brand to another:

https://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101c.html#

So far:

- Tamiya Flat White (XF2)= Vallejo Model Air White 71.001
- Tamiya Buff (XF57)=Vallejo Model Air Hemp 71.023
- Tamiya Clear Red (X27)= Vallejo Transparent Red
- Tamiya Flate Base (base acrílica) (X21)= Vallejo Matte Medium

For some reason Vallejo is easier to find.

For some reason Vallejo is easier to find.

They are very nice paints to use, and coming in dropper bottles also makes them easier to handle.

Also make note, a few of those colours are from the Model Air range, designed to be used with an airbrush, so have been pre-thinned in advance, so will most likely work differently if you intend on using a brush. With the Hair I would suggest using acrylics, and build up layers of watered down paint, gradually adding less water to the dilution , that way your not obscuring that fine detail with thick paint, but still able to build up a strong colour.

Would love to see the head once your finished :D

thanks,
Sam

They are very nice paints to use, and coming in dropper bottles also makes them easier to handle.

Also make note, a few of those colours are from the Model Air range, designed to be used with an airbrush, so have been pre-thinned in advance, so will most likely work differently if you intend on using a brush. With the Hair I would suggest using acrylics, and build up layers of watered down paint, gradually adding less water to the dilution , that way your not obscuring that fine detail with thick paint, but still able to build up a strong colour.

Would love to see the head once your finished :D

thanks,
Sam

Thanks for the answer. Finally I bought two heads from dragon (just for test) I'll going to take the factory paint off.. and re-paint them. I will use two different techniques:

1) Using only a brush, with thin layers of paint, the paint are going to be water+acrylic paint, a lot of water..

For the eyes I will use the technique used in the website I gave in the first post. ( the site is down by the way!! :slap)

2) Using an airbrush and the pastel colors. The airbrush was made by myself :D ... not the airbrush but the air compressor.

Here is a picture... (really home made :D, but it works great)..

dsc00156ib.jpg

It was really cheap, mmm lets see: $8 for the power supply, $10 for the air compressor $0 for the plastic bottle :D ... I think I am going to make a control system for the air compressor anyway.. to make it automatic.. but I am note sure I need a cheap pressure sensor.

The bad thing is I do not bought water soluted acrylic pain. Just regular acrylic, but I think you can mix water+paint and use it in the airbrush it should work.

So how you make the hair to shine?? I mean the paint+water is opaque right?

That's a very interesting compressor and tank you have there :p Nice job

That floor polish mentioned would have been the product used to give the hair that shine. You could try something like that, or use a Satin varnish.

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited:
I just got this two HS:

sculptheads.jpg

I took the paint off.. And I am re painting them now :D

I made several attempts following the brimstone tutorial. The end result was not what I wanted, they turned out to have odd flesh color some looking far too orange. I just send them out to those that can paint, maybe one day I will make a few more attempts.

Well Here is my very first paint job, with a head sculpt from dragon. It was like $3 for every head. Please tell me what you think, and what do I need to do better:

21576931.jpg

41019598.jpg

38906430.jpg

37302648.jpg

17535005.jpg

82711747.jpg

95493867.jpg

Here how the head looked with the factory paint:

10034421.jpg

:dunno

I think it looks good for your first paint job. I suggest using a finer tipped brush to paint the details of the eye lashes, they are looking thick. You can also use that to paint the eyebrows.

Keep it up!

For a first attempt, that is a great job dude :)
Of course there are plenty of areas for improvement which I'm sure you will address with practice

- skin looks a little too shiny/glossy
- area around eyes looks messy, need to be more careful and maybe use less paint
- eyebrows need more tones and detail
- eyes need work, need to be neater

Just my initial reaction, hope it helps! Please wait till you get a few more heads of practice at least before trying to paint the bale ;)

I think it looks good for your first paint job. I suggest using a finer tipped brush to paint the details of the eye lashes, they are looking thick. You can also use that to paint the eyebrows.

Keep it up!

I am using a tipped brush number 00.. I am not sure if it is there any finer than that???:dunno .. next time to improve the eyes area I think I will use only washes.. and for the eyebrows I will use dust of soft pastel and mix colors.. they look totally out of place.. like to shiny and too dark and the hair too... I'll try to use the same technique I used for the skin.

For a first attempt, that is a great job dude :)
Of course there are plenty of areas for improvement which I'm sure you will address with practice

- skin looks a little too shiny/glossy
- area around eyes looks messy, need to be more careful and maybe use less paint
- eyebrows need more tones and detail
- eyes need work, need to be neater

Just my initial reaction, hope it helps! Please wait till you get a few more heads of practice at least before trying to paint the bale ;)

-The skin is too glossy because only the sealer. Before the sealer the skin was totally matt. I think I will make the sealer more matt. I am using a mix between matte medium and floor polish. I will add more matte medium and less floor polish, plus I will use 2 coat of sealer instaed of 4. That will reduce the glossy effect.

-Yes... next time I will be careful in the eyes area and use only washes that will give me more control.

- Yes for eyebrows I will use soft pastel dust next time.

Really guys, thanks for your opinion. I have another head sculpt ready to start the paint job. I will give it another shot tonight :)

What is the best brush for eye details??? the 3/0 ?? y think the 00 is too big ..

hi guys, here is my second try, let me know what do you think??? .. for my 3rd try, I will get the 20/0 sable brush, so little details may improve a little bit, at this point I am using 5/0 for eyes:

red01r.jpg

red02i.jpg

red03.jpg

red04.jpg

red05.jpg

What do you think about the skin tone, etc.

I can certainly see improvement from the first version.

Overall i'd say maybe you are using a little too much paint, I don't know since i'm not a painter myself, maybe someone else can opine - the reason I say that is because the paint looks a bit thick

But no doubt an imrovement over the first try like I said - good luck for the third attempt!

Back