Casting question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DARKSIDE COLLECTOR

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Anybody know who does inexpensive casting around here?I dont mind casting a head every now and then,but when I have to do 20 or more it gets a little much.Thanks

How do you cast a large scale object? Like 1/5 or 1/4 scale statue? Lets say I hardened a sculpty and now I need make a mold?

I would assume you can make a stone mold or casting resin mold right?

And after you made a mold, what you would use to pour into to make a polystone statue? Plaster? What kind?

Last edited:
How do you cast a large scale object? Like 1/5 or 1/4 scale statue? Lets say I hardened a sculpty and now I need make a mold?

I would assume you can make a stone mold or casting resin mold right?

And after you made a mold, what you would use to pour into to make a polystone statue? Plaster? What kind?

Check out these videos.

https://www.smooth-on.com/media.php

Smooth on is the best. You may want to grab some liquid latex from michaels craft shop and some plaster of paris for the shell support mold and casting material. Practice with this stuff first so you have a good handle before using the premium material.

Do people consider plaster as polystone? I've seen sculptor use plaster to cast into a mold. Or do people consider sculpey clay or polymer clay as polystone? I know plaster self harden vs. the oven/kilm harden of sculpey/polymer clay.

Seem like I'll need plaster for casting and epoxy resin for making mold. And probably plaster for making mother mold.

Do people consider plaster as polystone? I've seen sculptor use plaster to cast into a mold. Or do people consider sculpey clay or polymer clay as polystone? I know plaster self harden vs. the oven/kilm harden of sculpey/polymer clay.

Seem like I'll need plaster for casting and epoxy resin for making mold. And probably plaster for making mother mold.

Poly stone is basically resin mixed with stone dust. Plaster is not a good material to use for creating the positive. Its cheap and fragile.
You need a flexible rubber material for your mold. Silicone is ideal far molds because it doesn't require a mold release.

Poly stone is basically resin mixed with stone dust. Plaster is not a good material to use for creating the positive. Its cheap and fragile.
You need a flexible rubber material for your mold. Silicone is ideal far molds because it doesn't require a mold release.

If not plaster to use to cast from a mold, then what material? What brand/material to use as the final product? I don't think resin alone would do it. Maybe resin as a portion of the statue, say for a clear flame/water section?

Like Robbie said, statues are made out of polyester resin mixed with Calcite (Calcite is a carbonate mineral and the most stable polymorph of calcium carbonate) This not only makes the statues cheaper, but it also makes the resin a bit lighter.
Polymer clay is another different material, polymer molecules mixed with fillers, basically a variation of PVC plastic.
Plaster can be used to cast, but it is not used in collectibles. Polyester resin mixed with calcite or rather Polystone is the material of choice,
Clear resin usually does not have any additive other than dye to color it, like flames/water etc.

hope this helps :wink1:

Like Robbie said, statues are made out of polyester resin mixed with Calcite (Calcite is a carbonate mineral and the most stable polymorph of calcium carbonate) This not only makes the statues cheaper, but it also makes the resin a bit lighter.
Polymer clay is another different material, polymer molecules mixed with fillers, basically a variation of PVC plastic.
Plaster can be used to cast, but it is not used in collectibles. Polyester resin mixed with calcite or rather Polystone is the material of choice,
Clear resin usually does not have any additive other than dye to color it, like flames/water etc.

hope this helps :wink1:

Yes, thanks for the info....but that brand should I use to cast statue from mold? Like what brand that have polyester resin and calcite? Or polystone?

And what dye to use in clear resin? Does the dye sink slightly? Like how they make the dye to fade, say from clear to real red?

Back