Advice on Affects of Halogen lighting on Figures & Statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
So i set up my new cabinet and it looks amazing. i plan to have the lights on at night mostly, not all the time.

the bulbs are halogen and can get pretty damn hot, so i wanted advice of if these lights could potentially damage or lighten the paint on my statues & figure

Also as you can see from these pics i put my new Hot Toys Spider-Man inside, it's pretty close to the bulb so this is by no means a permanent placement.

img1059z.jpg

img1060k.jpg

img1061d.jpg

Now Spider-man has rubber webbing, if i was to have him centered in the cabinet, away from the lights, would that damage him? same for all of my other HT with rubber parts like Iron Man MK IV, The Batman Begins coming soon and rubber bodied figs like the T2 T-800.

And what kind of affect would the lights also have on standard figs like Commander Cody and DX Joker?

Providing these are not right next to the bulb and not left on all the time.

Thanks Guys!​

Great display. As for the halogen lights, whats watt are the bulbs? Halogen bulbs are notorious for getting very hot.

Yeah you saw my custom cabinet, 18 bulbs in total, I originally had halogens in there but they were generating a TON of heat, I ended up dropping $400 for LED replacements, but it's worth the peace of mind to me.

Some halogen bulbs also emit UV, which can cause fading of color.
I'd personally stick with LED lighting.

Great display. As for the halogen lights, whats watt are the bulbs? Halogen bulbs are notorious for getting very hot.

Eight 20 watt bulbs

Some halogen bulbs also emit UV, which can cause fading of color.
I'd personally stick with LED lighting.

Which bulbs?

I'm using this cabinet for statues only at the moment, so will the lights damage the statues?

In future i'm getting two cabinets for figures, so i'll likely change them to LED's.

I spoke with the company and they said i'd have to swap the transformer for an LED driver with enough wattage for all the bulbs wattage combine.

Anyone know what the equivilent light for LEDs woupd be in watts?

I agree with the sentiment here, switch out the halogen bulbs for the LED's. If you do a quick Google search on halogen light bulbs you'll see they can cause a variety of problems. You spend a lot of money on your collection, spending a few more dollars for peace of mind on bulbs should be a no brainer :huh

From everything i've investigated LED are the way to go.

I've read by some that i don't need to get an LED Driver if the voltage of the bulbs is the same, others say the bulbs wont last.

Anyone know about this?

The equivelent wattage seems varied, but it looks like i should go for 4 or less watts on an LED bulb and keep the voltage the same if possible.

Anyone know about this.

I'm entering a whole new world of confusion over the watts/lumens/voltage and other confusing terms. :dunno

This site is pretty helpful...

https://mr-ives.blogspot.com/2011/03/replacing-mr16-halogen-bulbs-with-led.html

If i understand this correctly the mains plug into the wall will provide over 200 volts of electricity to the cabinet lights. This is too much, so the transformer on top comverts the volts to what the lights need 12volts per bulb.

Apparently LED bulbs, as they are low wattage and low energy use a tiny fraction of power, this is too little for the transformer on top as that has a mimimum voltage or wattage that it must meet and the bulbs do not meet this and thus the need for a LED specific Driver.

I just don't know if the voltage is the measurement or the wattage. The voltage of the LED's seems the same as the halogen and thus should be compatible, but the wattage isnt.

Fascinating stuff really.

I think i'll remove some of the halogens and add a LED bulb to see if it flickers dues to not meeting the minimum power needs.

If not i'll need to get 2 Drivers to switch with the transformers.

Acutally i'll check the minimum wattage needed on the current transformers and add up the wattage of all of the LED's to see if it meets this minimum.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add another input but pretty much its the same as everyone is saying.
I originally had I believe, halogen...and it was generating heat badly. I could not get peace of mind. Switch to LED and it actually looks even better as my previous lighting had a yellowish tint.
I like to have the lights on all the time so I turn it on every day when I come home from work and leave it on all night. On weekends, I dont even turn it off, I leave it on all day/night. They're still pretty bright even though some of the sets I have are a couple of years old. I bought some new ones and they're almost identical in luminance to my old set, so they last a long long time.

LED is the way to go.

I'm definitley going for LED.

I checked the transformer on top of the cabinet and the minimum wattage is 35w.

So for the four bulbs it'd power, each bulb would need to be over 8 watts, which is far too bright it seems for an LED.

So i think i'll have to get 2 LED drivers and 8 LED bulbs in total, which wont be cheap :(

But it looks like all i have to do is unscrew the light fixture cables from the Transformer and screw them into the driver, so that shouldn't be too hard

Just wanted to add another input but pretty much its the same as everyone is saying.
I originally had I believe, halogen...and it was generating heat badly. I could not get peace of mind. Switch to LED and it actually looks even better as my previous lighting had a yellowish tint.
I like to have the lights on all the time so I turn it on every day when I come home from work and leave it on all night. On weekends, I dont even turn it off, I leave it on all day/night. They're still pretty bright even though some of the sets I have are a couple of years old. I bought some new ones and they're almost identical in luminance to my old set, so they last a long long time.

LED is the way to go.

Thanks Remy, being able to have the lights on alot and not to damage the statues and figures will be ideal.

Do you have the "Cool White" bulbs then, instead of the yellower "Warm White"

Well i got the LED drivers. They look pretty much the same configuration as the tansformers on top of the cabinet so switching themshould just be a matter of step by step transferring of wires.

Now i need to get the bulbs, i think i'm gonna have to get one or two bulbs to test what strength i want before buying a bulk lot of them.

I just put up LED track lighting in one of my collection rooms
The best thing I have done in years, and they look real good too!
fead7ebc.jpg

I use car or motercycle led strips if you know how to wire neg and pos to a plug you can get led strips realy cheap and have differnt colors plus led last lifetime and cheaper on electic bill and some strips come with sticky tape ...ebay led strips 3 or 4bucks plug 10 bucks and stereo wire to link together ,it's realy easy and cheaper...

Back