Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Banned

Feedback
    Default Re: Customs section - Interest threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jmlsuperman View Post
    I just bought this figure. Itís funny how it was unlicensed with no one getting rights for it. Yet it is a mainstream company now. Kinda like Asmus toys. So Iím not that much into the custom market but it made it possible for people to fill voids in their collection. Sad day for artists.
    Attachment 413424
    Once you make it big
    You forget about your roots.
    You become the elite. The ones on top. Then you crush the little guy. You destroy them

I'm annoyed by this, but I'm also surprised SS was able to get by so long by pretending companies they are licensing IP from were having their IP infringed on the forum. Looking forward to wherever this resurrects.

Banned

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Berry View Post
    I wouldn't expect Dave to delve into the nuances of why he forcibly had to remove content from his site. He says he thought he had more time, which suggest the timing wasn't of his doing. There are liability issues to consider, if he indirectly makes money off of, and maintains a platform selling illegal goods once the IP holders take issue with it.
    Dave probably got a seize and desist letter.

Quote Originally Posted by slickythesloth View Post
    Dave, can you give us some insight on why you choose to remove the section so fast instead of simply cutting affiliate ties with them? It doesnít make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Berry View Post
    I wouldn't expect Dave to delve into the nuances of why he forcibly had to remove content from his site. He says he thought he had more time, which suggest the timing wasn't of his doing. There are liability issues to consider, if he indirectly makes money off of, and maintains a platform selling illegal goods once the IP holders take issue with it.
    From my understanding the leagaleese of the document more or less threatened affiliate status. You drop unlicensed promotion or you lose any outstanding revenue earned from SS as an affiliate. Bearing in mind that SSF has used the SS title for as ling as I have known them to exist, AND that we probably drove a lot of traffic to SS, I don't doubt that there was a pretty penny in unsettled affiliate revenue to be lost on Dave's end.

Sideshow Freaks AKA Sideshowcollectors.com is not owned or operated by Sideshow Collectibles, Inc. or www.sideshowtoy.com.

This forum is the premier online community of collectors of memorabilia from film, television, comics and all other pop culture. Reviews, photos, news, custom art, and more for collectibles of all types; statues, 1/6 figures, props, etc. from every collectible company are topics on this growing discussion forum.
    BUT - I trust Dave - I think he'll responsibly deal with this.

And while I already have been phasing out SS for other reasons and I DO understand the frustration - is SS 100% behind this? Keep in mind, SS is at the beckoning of HT, who is at the beckoning of license holders. If SS gives money to places which effectively infringe on contacts and legalities, they actively undermine those documents that are above their pay grade. Then HT is in a position where they have the right to pull their distribution rights so they don't have their own business infringed on. There's always a bigger fish. Same applies between SS and Disney direct. I get it, but I don't agree with it or the way this was handled.

The turn around on "fixing this" was not perfectly balanced, as all things should be. But that's not Dave's fault. Who knows, once this all gets paid out we might be on a newly named forum lacking the affiliate connection.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Odd View Post
    All the people boycotting sideshow now, if you order through a US based store aren’t you still giving you money to Sideshow? As they are the sole American distributor? Gonna have to order everything from overseas if you really want to put your money where your mouth is.
    That's true but you give them less money. If both BBTS and SSC is selling a figure for $235; SSC distributes it to them for less; a lot less I would assume. I don't know this business but the markup should be what, 30% at least? 50%? That's a lot of money. I really wish there was another distributor for HT in the US. Imagine if SSC didn't have their guaranteed income to fall back on, maybe their figures would be better.

Another option which is riskier is to use eBay and buy direct from Asia so SSC gets nothing. They've been having 10/15/20% off coupons reasonably regular lately. If one of those comes up at the right time and there's a cheaper seller you could buy it for less than US$ MSRP sometimes.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Odd View Post
    All the people boycotting sideshow now, if you order through a US based store arenít you still giving you money to Sideshow? As they are the sole American distributor? Gonna have to order everything from overseas if you really want to put your money where your mouth is.
    From BBTS email:

Good afternoon Craig,

Sideshow is the official US distributor of Hot Toys so that is who we must purchase from.

Have a great day!

--
    Sincerely,

So appears I'll be ordering from overseas from now on.
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL755/2599102/24675731/413615089.jpg
    Click >> Video or Build Thread

Banned

Feedback
    Hot toys might be forcing sideshow to act this way. Hot toys might be the one behind everything.
    Last edited by crows; 06-13-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by slickythesloth View Post
    Dave, can you give us some insight on why you choose to remove the section so fast instead of simply cutting affiliate ties with them? It doesn’t make sense.
    This forum has over 45,000 members with at least 1000 connections all the time. It is on it's own server and the costs of maintaining that server are more than you think. The only way to pay for that is through affiliate sales. A couple of years ago affiliate sales started to decline so I added other sources such as viglink and Premium Membership - but still the expenses often outstrip the income. Without the affiliate income this forum would not be supportable.

Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by crows View Post
    For all we know
    Hot toys might be focring sideshow to act this way. Hot toys might be the one behind everything.
    The licensors are behind it - Disney, DC, etc.

Freakalicious

Feedback
    Great decision. I will not support this company in the future nor use their shop.